Calendar of Events
Welcome to the Ethiopian Clearing House Mechanism (CHM)
A Collaborating Network of Partners Facilitating Scientific and Technical Cooperation
Globally, the value of biodiversity as a key component of the environment was recognized during the build-up to the United Nations Conference on Environment and Development (UNCED) in Rio in 1992. During this occasion, Ethiopia endorsed and signed the Convention on Biological Diversity (CBD). The Rio Earth Summit was a global meeting mandated to design integrated strategies that would stop and reverse the negative impact of human behavior on the physical environment and biodiversity and promote environmentally sustainable economic development in all countries.
The Clearing-House Mechanism (CHM) of the Convention on Biological Diversity has been established further to Article 18.3 of the Convention. Its mission is to contribute significantly to the implementation of the Convention through the promotion and facilitation of technical and scientific cooperation, among Parties, other Governments and stakeholders. More » The Strategic Plan of the Clearing-House Mechanism identifies three major goals:
The promotion and facilitation of technical and scientific cooperation
The promotion and facilitation of information exchange among Parties, other Governments and stakeholders
A fully operational mechanism with participation of all Parties and an expanded network of partners.
The implementation of the Clearing-House Mechanism has been guided by several decisions of the Conference of the Parties.
Today the Clearing-House Mechanism consists of the following components:
Various partner institutions.
The Clearing-House Mechanism is currently in the process of being improved to better contribute to the enhanced implementation phase of the Convention and the achievement of the 2010 biodiversity target. The first step of this process has been the recent launch of the new CBD website on 22 May 2007 on the occasion of the International Biodiversity Day. Technology and needs have evolved and the forthcoming meeting of the Informal Advisory Committee of the Clearing-House Mechanism (CHM-IAC) will discuss options to face this new challenge.
- Bioprospecting potential of Abelmoschus esculentus for Access and Benefit Sharing [posted on: 29/12/2016]
- “Investing in the wellbeing of our planet and halting climate change should not be seen as a ‘cost’, but as a worthwhile investment,” [posted on: 09/08/2016]
- EBI signs MoU with China-Africa Center for Research and Education [posted on: 09/08/2016]
- Identification of Ricinus communis, Castor Bean, for access and benefit sharing [posted on: 19/07/2016]
- Call for Access and Benefit Sharing of Rhamnus prinoides (Gesho) [posted on: 19/07/2016]
- Identification of Artemisia afra for Access and Benefit Sharing activities [posted on: 19/07/2016]
- Identification of Nigella sativa for Access and Benefit sharing purpose [posted on: 19/07/2016]
- Identification of Lippia adoensis for Access and Benefit sharing [posted on: 19/07/2016]
- Identification of Pentas lanceolata for ABS Agreement [posted on: 19/07/2016]
- The Executive board members of the Crop Trust visit EB [posted on: 21/03/2016]
- Institute and G7 Sign Agreement [posted on: 21/03/2016]
- EBI hosts African regional workshop on Mainstreaming Biosafety in to NBSAP [posted on: 08/03/2016]
- Institute, Ariti Herbal Products Sign Agreement [posted on: 16/12/2015]
- Institute, Mada Walabu University ink MoU [posted on: 16/12/2015]
- Restoration of Natural Resources in Ethiopia: Potential and Opportunities" [posted on: 30/03/2006]
- Access to Genetic Resources and Benefit-sharing Database on Capacity Building Projects [posted on: 01/06/2006]
- Advance Version of COP-MOP 3 decisions [posted on: 28/04/2006]
- Draft Guidelines for Fourth National Report [posted on: 28/04/2006]
- The Convention on Biological Diversity [posted on: 24/04/2006]
- New CBD Web Page for MOUs/MOCs [posted on: 06/04/2006]